New year, new you! If you’re ready to enhance your smile this year, whitening your teeth at home can be one of the easiest — and cost-effective — ways to make your pearly whites dazzle.
When most people think about whitening their teeth, they typically think there are only two options: in-office whitening with a dentist or whitestrips you get from the drug store. What most people don’t realize is that dentist offices offer higher quality — and safer — at-home whitening solutions! Learn about the most effective ways to whiten your teeth at home.
The pros and cons of whitening your teeth at home
There are benefits and drawbacks to whitening your teeth at home. Let’s start with the pros:
- Whiten on your schedule. One of the main benefits of at-home teeth whitening is that it can be done on your own schedule, without the need for several appointments at the dentist office.
- Cost-effective options. Many at-home teeth whitening kits are less expensive than in-office professional treatments. These kits often include trays that are custom-made or designed to fit comfortably over your teeth and are filled with a bleaching gel that can remove stains and discolorations.
- Gradual whitening. Another benefit of at-home teeth whitening is that it whitens over many sessions, giving you more control over the whitening process. Some kits include adjustable bleaching gels or different strength options, so you can customize the level of whitening to your preference. Essentially, you can use your whitening kit as needed to achieve — and maintain — your desired level of whiteness.
While there are many benefits of whitening your teeth at home, the DIY approach has its downsides.
- Off-the-shelf whitening strips are very ineffective. The low percentage of whitening gel in each strip makes the OTC strips much more time-consuming and much less effective than other whitening treatments available through your dentist.
- Results are not instant. One of the main drawbacks of at-home teeth whitening is that the results may not be as dramatic or long-lasting as professional treatments.
- Not as effective as in-office treatment(s). Additionally, many at-home kits do not contain the same strength of bleaching agents as those used by dentists, which means they may not be as effective in removing deep stains or discolorations.
It’s also important to note that teeth whitening is not suitable for everyone. If you have dental restorations, such as crowns, bridges, or veneers, teeth whitening may not be effective, and you should consult with your dentist before starting a whitening treatment. Additionally, teeth whitening is not recommended for people with sensitive teeth or gums, or those with cavities or other dental problems.
The top ways to whiten teeth at home
At Ponderosa Dental, we recommend using professional-grade teeth whitening solutions only — even for at-home kits. Here are a couple of at-home teeth whitening solutions options you can explore with us or at your local dentist office.
Custom Bleaching Trays
Whitening your teeth using custom bleaching trays from a dentist office can be a convenient method for achieving a brighter smile. This method involves creating custom-fitted trays that are designed to fit comfortably over your teeth. These trays are then filled with a bleaching gel that is specifically formulated for your teeth, and worn in the comfort of your own home and on your own schedule.
One of the main benefits of using custom bleaching trays from a dentist office is that they are tailored to your specific needs, which can result in more consistent, even whitening. Additionally, because the trays are custom-fitted, they are more comfortable to wear and are less likely to cause irritation or tooth sensitivity.
Pre-Made Bleaching Trays
If you don’t want to have impressions taken of your teeth to create custom-fitted trays, you can also get professional-grade hydrogen peroxide bleaching material from Ponderosa Dental, called Opalescence Go. With this method, you add the bleaching material to pre-made trays that adapt to your teeth. You wear the trays at home and will see results over time.
Professional teeth whitening options
In addition to at-home teeth whitening options, Ponderosa Dental offers professional teeth whitening in the office. ZOOM Whitening is a popular in-office teeth whitening procedure that we use to help you achieve a brighter and more attractive smile that lasts one to four years. This procedure is performed by using a professional-grade bleaching gel in combination with an ultraviolet light. The gel and light work together to penetrate the tooth enamel and break down stains and discoloration, resulting in a significant improvement in the color of your teeth. ZOOM Whitening is a safe and effective way to enhance the appearance of your smile, and it can be a great option for those looking for a quick and convenient way to achieve a brighter smile.
Visit Ponderosa Dental for a teeth whitening consultation today!
Interested in learning more about getting your teeth whitened? Schedule an appointment with Missoula’s best dentist, Dr. Dan, and discuss the best teeth whitening options for you. Schedule a visit today on our website and visit our Instagram @danmcfarlanddds to see what’s possible for your smile.