What is TMJ?
TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint. Your TMJ connects your lower and upper jaws and is responsible for your ability to open and close your mouth.
What is TMD?
TMD stands for temporomandibular disorder. This disorder is characterized by aches in your TMJ. It is also often called TMJ instead of TMD, although TMD is the right term.
Signs You Have TMD
- Headaches – Headaches are a common sign of TMD. The pain usually radiates up from your TMJ and shows up like a tension headache. In some cases, you may experience migraines as well.
- Teeth Grinding – You may grind your teeth in your sleep, or throughout the day. Teeth grinding is often caused by tension in your body. As you grind your teeth, it aggravates your TMJ.
- Clicking – You may hear/feel a clicking when you open and close your mouth, coming from your jaw joints.
- Sore/Fatigued Jaw – It is common to experience soreness due to the teeth grinding often associated with TMD. This soreness and constant tension can also leave your jaw fatigued. You notice it most when you are chewing and your jaw gets tired.
- Sore Throat – The tension in your jaw can radiate to your throat and leave you sore or with trouble swallowing.
- Ear Ringing – A very common sign is ringing in your ears and/or earaches.
Treatment Options for TMD
We offer treatments using nightguards and oral appliances. A nightguard keeps your teeth from grinding together. An oral appliance holds your jaw in a specific position.
6 Benefits of Treating TMD
- Relieve Jaw Aches, Headaches, and Earaches.
- Bite Down Without Soreness/Fatigue
- Eat Meals Without Discomfort
- Sleep Better
- Improve Your Mood
- Improve Your Quality of Life
How Do I Start Getting Relief?
Call for your appointment. We will examine you and determine which treatment is best for you. We will take impressions of your teeth and send those out to create your nightguard or oral appliance.
Regain Your Smile and Lose the Aches!
At Ponderosa Dental Group, we understand the impact untreated TMD can have. We want to use our years of experience to improve your symptoms and alleviate your discomfort. Don’t wait. Call today!