What is a Periodontist and Periodontal Disease?
A periodontist is a doctor that finds and treats periodontal (gum) disease. Gum disease is an infection that is found on your gums or the roof of your mouth. Signs of gum disease include:
- Red and Bleeding Gums
- Swollen Gums
- Painful Chewing
- Receding Gums
- Loose or Sensitive Teeth
- Systemic Diseases (Heart Disease, Diabetes, Breast Cancer, etc.)
Types of Gum Disease
There are two types of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis only affects your gums, while periodontitis damages the tissue and bone below the gums as well.
What is Periodontal Treatment?
Periodontal treatment focuses on the infection in your gums and the structure around your teeth. There are different treatments, each depending on how advanced the disease is.
- Deep Cleaning (Scaling and Root Planing) – Removes bacteria and tartar from under the gums.
- Antibiotic Mouthwash – This mouthwash, used regularly, can help fight gum disease.
- Surgery – You may need surgery if your gum disease is advanced enough. We do not perform surgeries, but will gladly refer you to a trusted surgeon.
Benefits of Periodontal Treatment
- Healthy Looking Smile – You may find it easier to smile widely without red, swollen gums.
- Stop Tooth Loss – Treating gum disease may keep you from losing teeth.
- Find Other Health Issues – We may be able to find other health-related issues as we work and study your mouth.
Does Insurance Cover Periodontal Treatment?
Many insurance policies do cover this treatment. However, coverage varies by policy. We will be happy to look at your policy and let you know what is covered. Give us a call!
Take Charge of Your Oral Health!
At Ponderosa Dental Group, your oral health is our greatest concern. We are ready to treat your gum disease and help return your healthy smile. Call for your appointment today!